Red Ribbon Week Ideas For Parents
Here are some ideas to make this year's Red Ribbon Week celebration the best yet!
- Use Red Ribbon Week as an opportunity to continue talking to your kids about drugs. Let them know that alcohol and drug use will not be tolerated.
- Work with the PTSA To Plan a School-Wide Red Ribbon Rally.
- Enter the Red Ribbon Photo Contest for a chance to win an iPad for you and your family - and $1,000 for your child's school.
- Encourage your kids and other students to take a stab at creating the 2019 National Red Ribbon Theme. Gain national recognition and $500 of Red Ribbon theme merchandise for your child's school.This year's theme was created by a student at Solon Middle School in Solon, Ohio.
- Use our social media tips to post Red Ribbon Week messages on your Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- Watch Natural High’s free celebrity drug prevention videos with your child and use their discussion questions to have a conversation with them about drugs and alcohol.
- Secure and take inventory of your medicine cabinet to prevent prescription drug abuse.
- Write an article about the importance of Red Ribbon Week in your school's Parent Newsletter.
- Contact a local governmental official about declaring October 23rd-31st Red Ribbon Week in your community.
- Work with your teachers to plan fun celebration days during Red Ribbon Week, such as Wear Red Day, Put A Cap On Drugs (Hat Day), Put A Sock On Drugs Day, Be On A Drug Free Team Day (Wear Your Favorite Team Gear), Shade Out Drugs Day (Wear Sunglasses), etc. Encourage your friends to participate.
- Bring Red Ribbons to your place of work.
- Sign the Red Ribbon Pledge.
- Organize a Miles of Quarters Campaign to support prevention.
- Get to know the parents of your children's friends. Work together to set boundaries and monitor behavior.
- Gather neighbors to discuss neighborhood watch concerning drug use among children in the neighborhood. Discuss plan to alert each other if any suspicious activity is observed. (Submitted by Christine)
- Check out what other prevention organizations are offering to make your Red Ribbon Week the most impactful yet at www.redribbon.org/resources
- Insert Your Best Idea Here. Add suggestions to the comment section below. We'll filter out the best and add them to this list!